other who have never done firmware upgrade, if you belong to other category, then congratulations for taking this extremely important step.
What actually is Router’s Firmware?
Each digital device needs Operating system to run all its programs and commands, Router’s Firmware is basically that operating system. Each router firmware is specifically designed to run on your specific make and model, unless its running on some open source firmware such as DD-WRT.
Who can provide Firmware upgrades?
Usually, your router manufacturer will provide firmware updates for your specific make and model of router, via their website, or via a tool/section within the administrative console of your router (typically accessible via a web browser). Upgrades must be approved by your ISP for compatibility with its systems. For the average home user, upgrades to your router’s firmware are generally not necessary. If you are experiencing a problem with your router or if an upgrade introduces a feature you want installed in your router, you can request an upgrade. If an upgrade approved by your ISP is available, it will be offered to you through your router’s user interface.
How to connect to router support?
Send an email to router support. Request a software upgrade and provide your router’s serial number. A confirmation email response from router support notifies you whether there is an available upgrade and makes the upgrade available to your router. You can connect to Linksys support at Linksys Support
How to upgrade Linksys router firmware (192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.254, 10.0.0.138)?
- Download the latest firmware for your router. Search for your product and the firmware file will be on the DOWNLOADS section.
- Once you,ve downloaded the firmware, open a web browser such as Internet Explorer and enter IP address of your router (192.168.1.1). To see steps for login into Admin, click here.
- Enter your username (admin) and your password (leave the field blank by default). Click OK to enter the web configuration for the device.
- Click the Tools (or Maintenance) tab and then click on Firmware on the left-hand side. Click on the Browse button and browse to the .bin file you downloaded in Step 1. Highlight the file by clicking on it once and click on Open.
- Click on UPLOAD to upgrade firmware. It may take a up to 30 seconds for the upgrade to complete. Click on Continue when it appears. The firmware is now upgraded.