other who have never done firmware upgrade, if you belong to other category, then congratulations for taking this extremely important step.
What actually is Router’s Firmware?
Each digital device needs Operating system to run all its programs and commands, Router’s Firmware is basically that operating system. Each router firmware is specifically designed to run on your specific make and model, unless its running on some open source firmware such as DD-WRT.
Who can provide Firmware upgrades?
Usually, your router manufacturer will provide firmware updates for your specific make and model of router, via their website, or via a tool/section within the administrative console of your router (typically accessible via a web browser). Upgrades must be approved by your ISP for compatibility with its systems. For the average home user, upgrades to your router’s firmware are generally not necessary. If you are experiencing a problem with your router or if an upgrade introduces a feature you want installed in your router, you can request an upgrade. If an upgrade approved by your ISP is available, it will be offered to you through your router’s user interface.
How to connect to router support?
Send an email to router support. Request a software upgrade and provide your router’s serial number. A confirmation email response from router support notifies you whether there is an available upgrade and makes the upgrade available to your router. You can connect to Netgear support at Netgear Support
How to upgrade Netgear router firmware (192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.254, 10.0.0.138)?
- Launch a web browser from a computer or WiFi device that is connected to the network. Note: We recommend that you use an Ethernet cable to connect your computer to your router to update the firmware.
- Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
- Enter the router user name and password. Note: The user name is admin, and the default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
- Select ADVANCED > Administration.
- Click the Firmware Update or Router Update button.
- The button label varies by router.
- Click the Check button. Note: The router looks for new firmware information; if any is available it displays a message asking if you want to download and install it.
- Click the Yes button.
- The router downloads the firmware and begins the update.